Monday, January 15, 2007

Why am I Still Single? - No Rummage Sales

As soon as females are of marriageable age, they are constantly asked, "why are you still single?" "How come you don't have a serious boyfriend?" "Why aren't you with anybody?"

Grrrrrr....

So, why am I still single? I remember something my friend Tara told me several months ago.

It's a typical single gal's story...I was pining after some guy who was wrong for me for many reasons, only I was too blind to see it. He was one of these guys who didn't really want to be with me, but also couldn't totally let me go. I'm not claiming to be perfect, and I never will be. He did have a little baggage at the time, but I looked past it. I had a hard time understanding why he didn't think the same way I did. Why didn't he like me? Why wouldn't he want to date me? What did I do to him that was SO awful that he wouldn't consider ME? Yes, woe was ME!

I was lamenting over this to Tara on the phone one evening, of course, with the phone in one hand and a spoon dipped in the Haagen Dazs with the other. When I was on my tangent, of "Why didn't he,....why wouldn't he,....why couldn't he....." she blurted, "He won't date you, because YOU'RE not a rummage-sale girl!

Huh? What's wrong with rummage sales?

Tara said, "Jamie, you're not the 25-cent shoes people find at rummage sales - you're the $100 Saks Fifth Avenue shoes. You're not used goods. He won't have to work very hard to get the 25-cent shoes, but he'll have to work a lot harder for the $100 shoes. Hence, you are not a rummage-sale girl."

Hmmm...For once, Tara was pretty on to something. She's right. I am not a rummage-sale girl. I haven't always made the best choices, but when it comes down to it, I won't be the 25-cent shoe, worn and tethered. The 25-cent shoe begging for someone to take it, even though once purchased, might end up tossed in the back of the closet. I know so many people who are in great relationships, who are treated like the $100 shoe, and I feel I deserve the same.

And the guy? Once I finally started acting more like the $100 shoe, he sensed it, and communication naturally tailed off. I know it sounds corny, but what happened was meant to be.

The next time someone asks, "Why are you still single?" I will simply say, "because I'm not a rummage-sale girl." Knowing my luck, they will probably think I'm a snob, and take it as though I'm too good for rummage sales. I'm not too good to shop at rummage sales. I just don't want to be featured at one.

No comments: